Sunday, October 11, 2015

The time traveler's story


New years eve 1899. Three friends waited in the lounge of the home of an inventor friend. Annoyed at being late every so often they checked the time.

"Dinners ready gentlemen"

The maid placed meals on the dinning room table.

"I'll just check to see what's keeping him"

The guests sat down round the table. Suddenly the maid screeched stepping back. A try crashed to the floor.
She was shocked at what she saw. Steadying himself on the doorway post was the host George. He looked like he had been fighting for his life tired and scruffy. Everybody at the table jumped to their feet as one. They were shocked at George's sunburn face and hands.
Gorge stumbled into the lounge into a stream of questions. The most asked was his face and hands.

"Sorry I'm late".

He slumps into a chair. He asked for a brief refreshment. He promised all would be revealed as soon as he had something to eat. He gulps down a glass of wine. Feeling exhausted plonks the empty class heavily on the table.

"I had intended to be on time, but got caught up by it. literally. I was intending to announce I had discovered a forth dimension to time. I thought it appreciate on the eve of a new century".
"A forth dimension"
"The last time I checked there's only three you know"
"You say there is a fourth"?
"Yes"
"What happened to your face and hands?
"I'm coming to that"
"I'd got the idea of a fourth dimension from clocks and found a way to travel  the dimension"

George takes the glass. Turning to the maid he held it to her.

"Get me another would you please".
"You traveled this fourth dimension of yours?"
"Yes"
"A forth dimension! Huh! Don't be ridicules. The last time I checked there's only three you know. It doesn't explain your face and hands"

The maid hands him the refill. Gorge gulps down a mouthful.

"What is this fourth dimension of yours George. And just how did you get so sunburn in the middle of winter?"
"Apparently the dimension travels on a different time than clocks. Or more precisely our time"
"You traveled differently time to our time"
"Yes"
"This is ridicules. I told you the last I remember there is only three dimensions. Look. We move forward and back in straight line Right? That's one. When we move left and right that's two. And when we move up and down that's three. What other dimensions is there?"
"In in a physical sense time itself"
"Time's not a dimension"
"What if we turn a circle?"
"It's just a representation of all dimensions. Traveling a different time is"
"Are you saying you have traveled a dimension different from our time.  Why you look so much like this"
George notices his sunburn.
"I don't think that's a sunburn from bathing at a Bahamas beach in the last couple hours. I see a pretty serious sunburn when I see one."
"I'll say"
"How did you get it?"
"He got In the middle of winter you know"
"Very funny boys. You can make jokes but it's true. I don't know now traveling though time I got this. I wish I knew specifically. One things for sure must be something to do with traveling on a different time than this one"
"You said you got the idea from clocks?"
"Simple really. Look, do you want to know what happened to me or not? It'll explain everything"
"Course we want to know what happened to you"
"This had better be good, that's all I can say"
"Earlier today I told Judy here I would be in the adjoining shed if she needed me.
There was my invention I travelled in time tuck away in one corner of the adjoining shed. It's like a sleigh in away with a large disc towering behind my seat. Where the rains would be is barrel control panel. Three lights, green, orange and red stands on top.
I went over to a candle lighting it and checked the time of a clock next to it. Then I checked my pocket watch against the time. I had stored the main control in a cupboard. It was rather like a rattle with a demand head. I polished up the tip of the handle a bit on my metal polisher.
I replaced the lever in a slot beside the three lights seating myself in and scanned the control panel. After a here I go, I moved the lever forward. I could feel the weight of the giant disk behind slowly rotate."

Looking from the environment's point of view George sitting in the machine seemed to do nothing, except a hint of being frozen in time.

"After a few seconds I pulled the lever back. The disc wound to a stop. Nothing seemed to have happened. I could see though the window panes of the front window the dress shop mannequin of our dress shop across the road"

Looking from the shed's perspective George looked like he come back to life from frozen in time state.

"I looked up to the skylight. Though glass panes I saw the overcast cloud above me. Scanning the rest of the environment I was expecting a change but there was none. I was puzzled. My his eyes fell on the clock. It indicated a half hour had gone by in the last couple of seconds".
Then I spot the candle. It was a few centimetres shorter. I checked my watch. It confirmed it".
Looking from the shed's point of view saw George hadn't done anything either.
"My attention turned to the control panel counter then to the clock. The clock confirmed I had jumped a half hour forward in time. To me it was a few seconds".

To the shed environment that few seconds George was as still as a statue for that half  hour discrepancy.

"Encouraged I forward the liver. I felt the disc rotated again. This time I kept an eye on the candle flame. It trickled down to the base of the stick in seconds. Then snuffed out all together"

From the shed's environment point of view saw George as a statue. The candle flame burned down in the normal hours and the hands of the clock read time normally. The shed's time was as constant as it always had been.

"Then I observed the minute hand of the clock was moving as fast as a second. That confirmed I was actually traveling though time a minute into the future every second of my time."

George could know that wasn't what the shed environment was seeing him. It saw the machine and George as still as a statue for minutes at a time.

"I knew I was right about the existence of a fourth dimension".

From the shed's environment perspective it never changed. George in the machine looked as still a photograph. George sitting in the machine frozen in time was actually Gorge 60 times as slow as every environment second.

"Judging from the movement of the clock's minute hand I must had been traveling 60 times as fast as every second of time"
George didn't know the machine was traveling independently as slow proportionality. That's why he looked so frozen in time. The slower the machine could have gone the faster George would have witnessed the shed's time speed up the more he looked frozen in time to the environment.
"When I noticed the minute hand was moving as fast as a second if it kept it up I'd be an hour into the future every time the hand made a full circle".

The shed's environment saw George sitting in his machine as still as a photograph. The more George slowed down the more he looked frozen in time. In other words the faster we observe time goes, the more environments see's us slow in time. A law of time travel tells us more simply the slower we go the faster time goes or the slower. Or the if we put it in another way the faster we observe time goes the slower we are going.

"Then I noticed how the environment round me changed into a violet casting the whole environment scene. It was an unreal feeling. All the red's, yellows and orange colors seemed to have vanished. Poof! Gone! I didn't understand it even now. I'd wracked my brain as to how this could happened? The colors had completely disappeared in this violet color cast environment".

The more slower George's machine traveled slow the more he saw the shed environment's violet become deeper and deeper in that color.\

"There was something else. I felt the sensation of a warm sun on my face and hands. In fact all over. I was starting to get hot. But this was new years eve in the middle of winter. I couldn't make out what was doing that".

George didn't realize he was feeling the effects of the colors round him had changed into Ultra Violet ( UV and UVA ) light rays. In effect he was quickly being tanned. The normally harmless UV rays was now becoming deadly burning Georges face and hands very fast. In just a couple of minutes he was expose to UV light though the skylight above him we normally get in a minute in seconds. If George traveled slower the normal UV environment would begin cook George fatally.

"Then I witnessed something rather odd about the environment. The environment round me was beginning not only to look as is it is being crushed in from all sides but every muscle and organs was feeling crushed inwards in all directions Every felt double my normal body weight. I felt my heart work harder and I was struggling to breath I was beginning to feel he was squeezed into a box far to small for me and continuing to grow smaller.
That's only half of it. I smelt something's burring. I tried with some difficulty to look round and behind. But I was too heavy to move. I was starting to feel it pressing on me evenly in all directions. In front of me the red light was flashing. The light's look light the are cracking and being crushed as if under a enormous weight. I never felt so much helpless panic in all my life. I had to think a lot realizing it was his machine that was doing this. No I know what a turkey feels like cooked in an oven"

Little did George know the heat he was experiencing was another natural consequence of physics of time travel. The heat you feel pumping up a tire with a bicycle pump is not from friction you know. It is compressed hot air from you're compression strokes. If you compress something hard enough heats up. In Georges case the consequence of time time itself compressing him and cooking him alive.

"I could breath. I was suffocating as if air itself was changing. I felt my cloth's squeezing me as if they were to tight on body".
I felt desperately weighed down by the time I got round to acting. Sweating hard I tried to pull back on the lever. Every limb of his body was far to heavy to lift. It was as hot as an oven. I felt as if a confined space was squeezing the life out of me. It was like being cooked alive. My heart and lungs protested realizing I couldn't function in a box to small for me. I gasped for air struggling to breath close to loosing conscious".

From the shed's point of view the machine looked as if inside an invisible car crusher folding inward on itself from all directions.

"Suddenly the disk made a screeching tearing of metal and sparks flew about. Pressure suddenly drop away. Like pieces of metal being turn the disc jammed to a sudden stop. Time suddenly slowed very quickly the environment expanding outwards to normal in seconds. The weight and heat was suddenly gone from my body".

From the sheds perspective the machine stopped folding in on itself. Georges body was able to push against the normal air pressure of the environment the stress of the squeezing weight gone. The machine was some what the worse for ware looking as if a car crusher tried to have a go at it. It looked folded inwards in every direction.

"I rested back seat in the swab feeling drained of energy sweaty and painting for breath. My heart was pounding in my chest like a hammer, lungs protesting choking and sputtering for breath. I know now the sensation I felt was blood oozing from each nostril. I was glad I returned to normal normal".

George had experience the equivalent pressure of a gravity several times his normal body weigh the same forces we feel riding a 500kmph rocket sled take off. It is due to the compression of time on matter

"I reached for my tie ripping it off undoing the top buttons for air. Still panting and exhausted I could see the main window. The dress shop was quiet. The mannequin on display across the road looked reassuring everything was back to normal.
I sat there shaking all over feeling to week to move. I let myself calm down for a moment till I could finally step out. Calming down I looked round at my surroundings. For the first time I could see the state of my machine. The control panel looked partially distorted like air sucked out of a can bent to my knees the lights smashed and broken looking partially crushed. I feared he may be trapped in the seat.
I weekly check each side finding to my relief I could just barely negotiate my knees from under the drooping control panel, I managed to weekly drag my shins under the control panel stepping out. Out on the floor I felt so week I had to balance myself on the machine from collapsing to the floor. The machine was still lightly warm. The frame looked bent inward all directions as if giant hand had tried to squeeze it.
I felt my cloths all damp and sticky. Unsteady I flopped to my knees waiting for my heavy breathing to subside. Good god it nearly killed me, All of a sudden I felt his sunburn hands and face, Looking at my them puzzlement what caused this in the middle of winter feeling feeling hot face. The first thing I thought of Where's a mirror.
Nursing my sunburns I went weekly to the adjoining door swinging it open and staggered on into the hallway to the lounge just as Judy opened the door The rest you know"

The guests didn't know what to make out it.

"I've never heard a tallest tail like in my life. Ridicules"
"Never the less it's true"
"Nobody's going to believe this George"
"Explain my face and hands. Have a look at my machine"
"What do you think caused what looks like you've been in the sun to long. And the machine to crash stop like that?"
"I don't know"
"I don't know about you two but I'm going to take a look at this machine of his"
"What now?"
"The machine's badly damaged. Really distorted. As if some one squashed it from all sides, side to side, long ways top to bottom, you name it. See for yourself The whole framework's badly buckled to say the lest."

Excursing his tender shoulder muscles George was feeling the effects of his ordeal.

"You look exhausted George. You OK?. Maybe you should retire for the night"
"Yeah"
"You should see a doctor about your red face and hands"

Feeling the effects of tender muscle all over his body he weekly stood up. The two guests offered support. He said he was OK he'll manage

Before he left he pointing to his face

"It'll be hard to explain all this to a doctor. Judy will see you out. Good night"

He turned weekly setting off to his bedroom, He was to tired to do anything else. Flopping on his bed he immediately feel asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment